The Sucko State of On-line "Customer Service"

 


Good Thing I Like My...



pastedGraphic_1.pdf

TiVo DVRs changed the way we watch TV.  I don't think I could bear to watch commercial-saturated television without a DVR.  We've been a TiVo customer for over ten years.


That said, when we had a billing problem, I ran into the impenetrable wall they call "customer service." 


After exhausting every other thing on their website, I finally opted for "chat."  HAR!  I might as well have asked for Devine Intervention.  Take a look:

(TiVo's chatbot -- and an alleged live agent.  My responses are in YELLOW.)



12:15 PM


Thanks for connecting to the TiVo Support Experience. I’m TiVo's automated virtual assistant, here to help.

What are you looking for help with?

Unexpected bill for $161.61. Scam? We are current on monthly payments.

It sounds like you're inquiring about account billing. Is that right?

Yes

You can click 'My Account' below to view your Billing and Order History. You can also perform other transactions like Update Credit Card, and Activate a device.
My Account

Did this solve your issue?

No

Would you like to speak with a live agent?

Yes

Before we connect you to a live agent, what is your name?

will duff

Please type your email address below.

duffworx@earthlink.net

Please enter your phone number to verify your account.

505-281-XXXX (my edit)

I'm getting a live agent for you

Please hold on while we find an available live agent.

Entering chat with a live agent...

Thank you for contacting TiVo Chat Support, my name is Jerson and I am happy to assist you.

("Jerson again) Hi, Good morning! I hope your doing great! [sic. And it was afternoon.]

We were billed an unexpected $161.61 on 7/12/2022.

Pre-chat Form states that you have an issue about your account. Is this correct?

We were billed last month for $161.61 which we do not owe.
the bill was on7/12/2022. We are current on monthly payments.


Sorry for the late response. Allow me to check that charge first. Please bear with me oka

ok


okay?***

Thank you.


THAT WAS AT 12:19


Are you still there?  12:30


Why is it taking so long to check a charge? Extraordinarily inconvenient for a customer. 12:40

(The animated icon indicating "typing" by Jerson, continued to throb.)


Are you still there? 12:45


Why is it taking so long to check a charge? Extraordinarily inconvenient for a customer.

I have now been waiting 30 minutes. This is outrageous.


Jerson, I will write no com
plaint about you. I'm sure it's not your fault. What is going on?
I mean NO complaint about you. 12:51 (Me trying to get the TiVo rep to come back.)


One hour! TiVo apparently wants me to "end chat" and just go away? 1:15


I WENT AWAY ONE HOUR AND 12 MINUTES AFTER STARTING. NO RESOLUTION TO THE BILLING PROBLEM.   1:27


@#$%&! (not a direct quote)


TiVo, of course, is not alone in providing yukky "virtual" online customer service. For instance:


Just this week, a thunderstorm knocked out landline phone service for about a hundred people in our woodsy neighborhood where cell service is spotty. Century Link's website was just as bad as TiVo's. In the face of dozens of calls reporting the outage, the Century Link website kept insisting, "There is no outage in your area."  The outage lasted over 24 hours. 


 Much teeth grinding was reported on our local Nextdoor.com.


I'm all for the efficiency of automated customer service IF IT WORKS. Most don't yet, at least that's my consumer impression. If I didn't love my TiVo, today's experience would have caused my departure from their service. Century Link is on the edge.




Comments

Gary Soucie said…
Good for you, Scooter! What a mensch.

Popular posts from this blog

Scooter Duff's Theory of Cosmology [UPDATED 5.4.24]

An Informational Present

Rick and Morty