Not the WAY(S) You Want to Die*

 All The Latest On 

The Fungus Pestilence

A friend of mine, recovering from sepsis (bad enough, but he was getting over it) was suddenly infected with "a yeast infection**," without further details. It killed him rather quickly. The hospital won't say any more, and guess what? 

Hospitals are protected from having to disclose fungal infection outbreaks!!
[From a NY Times piece: Matt RichtelApril 6, 2019
   Even the C.D.C., under its agreement with states, is not allowed to make public the location or name of hospitals involved in outbreaks."] 

Now This new article really gets my attention:
^
SCIENTIFIC AMERICAN

Deadly Fungi Are the Newest Emerging Microbe Threat All Over the World

These pathogens already kill 1.6 million people every year, and we have few defenses against them

75,000 people in the U.S. are hospitalized by fungi every year. 8.9 million are seen as outpatients

The worst fungus among us (so far) is Candida auris.  [*Here's my first post about this one.]

I am Candida auris. I just LOVE hospitals!
p.s. I'm 60% fatal.

But wait! There's more!

Now there are the first signs of a second epidemic, layered on top of the viral Covid pandemic. And it isn't just C. auris. Another deadly fungus called Aspergillus is starting to take a toll as well.

I'm Aspergillus
I love the immunocompromised

BOTTOM LINE

You are now (more?) aware. Next time I have to go in a hospital, I'm going to be loud and obnoxious in getting them to disclose whether they have had any recent fungus infections. Since I'm on "regular" Medicare (vs "Advantage"), I can and will change hospitals if they won't.  In your case, ummm... it's up to you.


** "Yeast infection" almost always means a vaginal infection caused by the fungus Candida albecans. It is rarely fatal. Candida Auris is the bad one. There are 350 Candidas.









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scooter Duff's Theory of Cosmology [UPDATED 5.4.24]

An Informational Present

Rick and Morty