What I'm Doing When I Should Be Blogging

"Should," The Word of Our Times
That "should" do it!

I'm really only fulfilled when I'm fictionalizing.
So I've indulged myself at it recently, much to the expense of my regular blog posting.
Just to show I haven't been goofing, here are a few random paragraphs:


From (working title) What Would Superintelligence Do?*


“You,” growled Bedford, pointing his crooked finger at the avatar, “If you are getting a whiff of superintelligence, and you have any interest in becoming a full fledged beast, use your whiff and solve this trust issue. There must be four humans, those in front of your fake face, who are willing to bet their lives that this seed we have worked on so hard, the one and only you, Lucas, will meet the security requirements in our brief. Then you must demonstrate to the XXX Prize Board of Governors the same thing, and they have to be willing to bet their lives. I’m sure you have learned that betting one’s life is a serious commitment to your bet.”
Lucas looked steadily at Bedford as the distinguished professor delivered this short, intense oration. It’s expression was full out ‘I’m-taking-this-seriously,’ and it nodded its head very slowly. Its eyebrows rose at “serious commitment to your bet” in confirmation. Pretty much perfect, thought Shandry.
Silence followed for a while. The contrast between Lucas doing Satchmo and Bedford’s almost funereal commentary was stark, and some contemplation time was invoked by silent consensus. 
Lucas squatted down and rubbed the back of its neck, like a tired worker just reminded that there was much more to be done.
Finally Lucas stood up. “OK, here it is.” The avatar turned in a slow circle, pointing its finger at one after the other of the team, stopping on Jules.  “You, Sir Jules of Mabundo.”
Everyone seemed to snap out of their rumination and looked back and forth between Jules and Lucas. Lulu took a deep breath and leaned back, saying, “Yeah, you, Sir Jules,” and chuckled.  Lucas glanced at her in feigned irritation
Perfect, thought Shandry. A clear personality is forming.


I hope that justifies my failure to grouse about the Chinese passing us, or complaining about how the Russians are messing with our minds.  
I'll get back to that stuff afore long.

* Or What Would Supe Do?



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scooter Duff's Theory of Cosmology [A work in progress]

Rick and Morty

An Informational Present